The SCHS holds tens of thousands of images documenting a wide variety of people, places, and activities in South Carolina. Some of these date back to the earliest days of photography, while others represent more recent times.
It takes time to search the South Carolina Historical Society archives, which contain over thirty thousand images, for a specific research request. Due to the small size of our staff, we ask that you submit your request using the forms provided below.
Every research or reproduction request must have an accompanying Visual Materials Reproduction Request (see online form below.) Those dealing with publishing images will need to submit the Visual Materials Permission to Publish Request. By following this protocol, you will help make the process more efficient.
- Scans are $30 per item up to 11” x 17”
- Scans are $50 per item larger than 11” x 17”
|Academic Thesis, Dissertation,Peer-reviewed Journal||Small Press / Non-Profit Print Run of less than 1,500||Large Press / Commercial Print Run In excess of 1,500||Textbook||Broadcast Television or Motion Picture||Social Media||Museum Display||Commercial Web Use|
|Print Publication, Interior Use||Waived||50||100||150||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Print Publication, Cover Use||5||100||200||250||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Second/Additional Editions||N/A||75% of original fees||75% of original fees||75% of original fees||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Social Media Fee**||15||25||25||25||25||25||25||25|
** Only Low-Resolution (jpeg files no larger than 96 dpi) with SCHS Watermark are permitted for social media use.
Also, please consult the following guidelines:
- If a patron uses five or more images in a single project, a discount of 20 percent will apply to the use fees.
- Normal processing time is 4-6 weeks. Rush orders will be charged at double the standard rates.
- All images must be properly credited with the minimum citation, “From the Collections of the South Carolina Historical Society.” Clearance of any copyright that may exist on a visual image, particularly for commercial purposes or publication, is the responsibility of the user. Users are responsible for determining what rights may exist and in whom those rights are vested. Failure to honor existing restrictions on use can result in liability for copyright infringement.
For specific inquiries related to using these forms or our collection, please contact Celeste Wiley. We look forward to working with you!
Visual Materials Reproduction Request Form: