The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS) is seeking a motivated and detail-oriented individual that enjoys working with the public to perform several museum related tasks. The Guest Services Assistant will greet visitors, sell museum tickets and museum store merchandise, respond to questions, and offer guidance to patrons. This is a part-time (16-20 hours/week) position that requires working Fridays and Saturdays in-person at the museum located in downtown Charleston. Parking is not provided.
· Ability to work Friday and Saturday.
· Strong capacity for interpersonal communication.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Orientation towards public service and working with people.
· Ability to think critically and problem solve.
· Ability to prioritize work to ensure that goals are realized.
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team setting.
· Ability to use a map to orient visitors around downtown.
· Knowledge of South Carolina history.
· Software proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is a plus.
Responsibilities and duties include:
· Greet visitors and provide a brief introduction to the museum.
· Sell Museum tickets via ShopKeep software.
· Respond to visitor questions.
· Sell museum merchandise.
· Restock museum merchandise as needed.
· Properly handle cash and make change.
· Other tasks as requested by senior staff.
About the SCHS:
The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS) is a nonprofit 501 c 3. It houses the state’s largest private repository of historic documents, produces two quarterly publications, and sponsors a variety of outreach programs for members, educators, students and the public. The organization’s mission is to expand, preserve, and make accessible its invaluable collection, and
to encourage interest and pride in the rich history of the State of South Carolina. Membership in the Society is open to anyone who is interested in the state’s past and supports the mission of the SCHS.
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to Brandon Reid, Museum Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.