The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS) seeks a motivated individual with exceptional fundraising skills to serve as Director of Development. This person is responsible for planning and implementing all fundraising including the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events, and capital campaigns. He or she also supervises the Membership Coordinator.
- Meet prospective donors frequently to establish effective communication
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements
- Build a planned giving program with focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Direct the membership program, including mailings and other communications
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives
- Identify fundraising events that will be carried out by the Programs/Event Coordinator
- Oversee the Board Development and Membership Committees
- Oversee fundraising and membership database and tracking by Membership Coordinator
- Maintain gift recognition programs
- Write and carry out a yearly development plan
- Significantly increase number of major donors, including corporations
- Significantly increase memberships from across the state and the country
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Aware of and appreciate the educational advantages of historical literacy for all ages
- Interest in and knowledge of American history with specific insight into the importance of SC history
- Ability to inspire and motivate others
- Ability to travel wherever there are opportunities to meet potentially major donors
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge and experience of fundraising techniques
- At least five years’ experience in fundraising, with a focus on major donors
- Experience overseeing staff and volunteers
- Ability to build relationships through good interpersonal skills
- Organized and able to follow through on tasks and goals
- Display a positive attitude, common sense, and good listening ability
- Effectively utilize Altru, Microsoft Office, Outlook, and other software used by SCHS.
- A bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years’ experience in professional fundraising.
The incumbent works directly for the Executive Director. The direction provided is general in nature except when changes in SCHS policies are necessary. The incumbent often works independently in the best interest of the SCHS.
The organizational headquarters is in Charleston, South Carolina. This position is state-wide and the
employee may live anywhere within the state but will have to communicate daily with the Executive
Director and be present at many functions in Charleston. A great deal of travel is involved in this
position and occasionally the employee will be required to work outside to help staff events and
programs produced by SCHS.
GOALS AND OPPORTUNITIES
- Major increases in donor giving and membership
- Grant funding from new entities
- Obtains sponsorships for events
- Takes advantage of professional development opportunities
- Works with other division heads for promotion of organizational goals
- Assists Executive Director and Assistant Director with operations and policy development
Commensurate with experience.
ABOUT THE SOCIETY:
The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS) is a nonprofit 501 c 3. It houses the state’s largest private repository of historic documents, produces two quarterly publications, and sponsors a variety of outreach programs for members, educators, students and the public. In 2018, the SCHS opened a museum in the historic Fireproof Building in Charleston. The organization’s mission is to expand, preserve, and make accessible its invaluable collection, and to encourage interest and pride in the history of the State of South Carolina. Membership in the Society is open to anyone who is interested in the state’s past and supports the mission of the SCHS.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and a list of three references to email@example.com. Please note “Director of Development” in the subject heading.