The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS) seeks a motivated and detail-oriented individual to serve as Membership Coordinator. Working in collaboration with the Director of Development, the Membership Coordinator performs a variety of duties to retain and increase the membership and donor base of the SCHS. This individual manages the membership database and oversees the majority of communication with current and prospective members. The Membership Coordinator also assists the Development Director to cultivate new members, business memberships, and large donors.
- Manages more than 2,000 SCHS member database by accurately recording new and updated membership information. Communicates with the membership via letter, telephone and email.
- Mails renewals to notify members of their status. As payments are received, enters the necessary information in the Altru database and gathers updated contact information such as email, change of postal address, etc. to maintain the membership information.
- Prepares deposits in Altru and transmits to accountant. Works closely with accountant and auditor to ensure accurate Altru financial records.
- Coordinates and recruits Affiliate Members.
- Mails acknowledgements for all membership dues and other donations on a bi-weekly or monthly basis.
- Assists staff with events, particularly those that involve reservations or ticket sales. Once the guest makes reservations or ticket purchases, sends out the necessary event materials needed for admission and other items as needed in preparation for that event.
- Assists the Development Director with current and historical membership data for fundraising, capital campaigns, and management needs.
- Responsible for promoting the society’s member-oriented programs/events including the Annual Meeting, tours, lecture series, and receptions.
- Sends out eblasts and other communications to keep members informed.
- Advises Communications Coordinator on events and notices for social media forums such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Assists with Audit and Financial duties as needed.
- Trains and assists staff with Altru membership database.
- Works to achieve the goals outlined by the SCHS business plan.
- Prepares and presents quarterly reports to the Board of Managers
- Performs other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Ability to effectively communicate the mission and goals of the South Carolina Historical Society to audiences or individuals.
- Writing and speaking skills and the ability to express thoughts and ideas properly.
- Ability to efficiently prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently.
- Extensive knowledge of Altru, or other membership database system, Microsoft Office 365.
- Highly motivated self-starter with a positive attitude
- Possess exceptional organizational skills
- Must be detail oriented
- Experience in the nonprofit industry, preferably in member and donor management
- Possesses creativity and working knowledge directly related to this position
- Ability to display initiative with minimal supervision
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to include both weekend and evening assignments and offsite meetings and conferences
- Ability to work well in a team environment
BS degree in history, accounting, or equivalent degree and/or pursuing an undergraduate degree as acceptable to SCHS management.
The work will generally be in the Fireproof Building at 100 Meeting Street in Charleston. The position requires occasional travel and availability on some weekends and evenings.
Salary is based on experience.
ABOUT THE SOCIETY:
The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS) is a nonprofit 501 c 3. It houses the state’s largest private repository of historic documents, produces two quarterly publications, and sponsors a variety of outreach programs for members, educators, students and the public. The organization’s mission is to expand, preserve, and make accessible its invaluable collection, and to encourage interest and pride in the rich history of the State of South Carolina. Membership in the Society is open to anyone who is interested in the state’s past and supports the mission of the SCHS.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references (with contact information) to firstname.lastname@example.org.